Enhance your English-language arts content instruction with the SIOP Model and transform your English learners into readers, writers and speakers of English.
Based on the best-selling resource, Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model by acclaimed authors Jana Echevarria, MaryEllen Vogt, and Deborah Short, reading and English teacher’s literacy coaches, intervention teachers, and reading specialists have access to research-based, SIOP-tested techniques for lessons specifically for the English-language arts (ELA) classroom. This highly anticipated book, The SIOP Model for Teaching English-Language Arts to English Learners addresses the issues faced in educating English learners (ELs) in ELA at each grade-level. SIOP techniques and activities organized around the eight SIOP components guide educators in promoting academic language development along with comprehensible content.
Written for SIOP teachers and those who have learned the SIOP Model, this book includes proven, effective English-language arts lessons and comprehensive units designed by SIOP language arts educators Karlin LaPorta and Lisa Mitchener. In addition, this book provides ideas to adapt the techniques for students at different levels of English proficiency. This invaluable resource is sure to become an indispensable resource for ELA educators of English learners.
- Presents a systematic process for teaching both the ELA academic content and ELA academic language to English learners.
- Offers ideas and activities about teaching ELA and organizes activities by grade-bands—K-2, 3-5 (or 6), 6-8, and 9-12 and SIOP components.
- Provides use-tomorrow ideas and activities for implementing the eight components of the SIOP Model in an ELA classroom.
- Includes lesson plans and comprehensive units that illustrate how a particular activity can be effective for ALL students, not just English learners.
- Create the ideal SIOP classroom with other resourcesfrom the SIOP Model Series: 99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model; Implementing the SIOP Model through Effective Coaching and Professional Development; The SIOP Model for Administrators; Making Content Comprehensible for Elementary English Learners; Making Content Comprehensible for Secondary English Learners; The SIOP Model for Teaching Math to English Learners; The SIOP Model for Teaching Social Studies to English Learners; and The SIOP Model for Teaching Science to English Learners (all published by Pearson)