With millions of copies sold, the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the style manual of choice for writers, editors, students, educators, and professionals in psychology, sociology, business, economics, nursing, social work, and justice administration, and other disciplines in which effective communication with words and data is fundamental.
In addition to providing clear guidance on grammar, the mechanics of writing, and APA style, the Publication Manual offers an authoritative and easy-to-use reference and citation system and comprehensive coverage of the treatment of numbers, metrication, statistical and mathematical data, tables, and figures for use in writing, reports, or presentations.
- The latest guidelines and examples for referencing electronic and online sources
- New and revised guidelines for submitting papers electronically
- Improved guidelines for avoiding plagiarism
- Simplified formatting guidelines for writers using up-to-date word-processing software
- All new guidelines for presenting case studies
- Improved guidelines for the construction of tables
- Updates on copyright and permissions issues for writers
- New reference examples for audiovisual media and patents
- An expanded and improved index for quick and easy access
Writers, scholars, and professionals will also find:
- New guidelines on how to choose text, tables, or figures to present data
- Guidelines for writing cover letters for submitting articles for publication, plus a sample letter
- Expanded guidelines on the retention of raw data
- New advice on establishing written agreements for the use of shared data
- New information onthe responsibilities of co-authors
New and experienced readers alike will find the 5th Edition a complete resource for writing, presenting, or publishing with clarity and persuasiveness.
Doody Review Services
Reviewer:Nicholas Greco IV, MS, BCETS, CATSM(Abbott Laboratories)
Description:This is a needed update of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, which was last published in 2001.
Purpose:The purpose is to provide the latest standards in publishing and new practices in information dissemination. Mainly, this latest edition has evolved with the technological landscape and placed the continuously evolving material on the web. There is new and expanded coverage of ethical issues, manuscript parts, statistics, electronic material, and the publication process.
Audience:This is the only style manual for writers, editors, students, and educators in the behavioral and social sciences field.
Features:While this edition expands on ethical and legal standards in the field, it also provides guidance on protecting one's intellectual property rights. How to write and prepare a manuscript, organize your work, reduce various biases, ensure standard grammar, display results, and credit sources are discussed in detail. Professors will appreciate the chapter on reference examples as this is an area in which students often need direction.
Assessment:As the definitive source of APA style, this is a must have for everyone in the social and behavioral sciences field.